I often get asked what the best way is to refinish your kitchen cabinets. I love to use Fusion Mineral Paint as well as Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint when I do all my refinishing. In this blog I will be going through the steps on how to use Fusion Mineral Paint when you refinish your cabinets. These 6 steps are simple, but are important to follow so you can have a durable long lasting finish. I just love how paint can transform your home! I had the privilege of painting the kitchen cabinets for our pastor and his wife while they were away. They chose to go with Fusion's buttermilk cream, a light creamy soft yellow, and it just totally brightens up their place! They have also finished all the trim around the windows in Fusion's beautiful prairie sunset!
Items you will need to refinish your kitchen:
~220 grit sandpaper
~Foam rollers and brush for cutting in
~Fusion Mineral Paint - colour of choice
~ Tough Coat
Total cost will vary depending on size of kitchen but averages between $100 - $250.
Follow these simple how to steps below to achieve a beautiful finish on your kitchen cabinets:
1. Choose the right colour ~ This is a super fun part about changing things in your home to make it more "yours"! Pick a colour that compliments your walls and other accents in the room. This can take some time and figuring out but it is well worth figuring out the perfect colour for your kitchen cabinets. At Happy Little Paint Shop, all the Fusion Mineral Paint colours are listed online. Simply click on the colour name to view what the colour looks like. Remember though, that the colour on a computer screen will not be as true to the actual painted colour. We have painted samples of all our Fusion Mineral Paint colours in store and sometimes it helps to come in the store to physically see the painted colour in person. When the paint dries it is even slightly different than how it looks in the bottle. If coming in to the store to pick the right colour, feel free to bring small samples of fabrics and colours that are already in your kitchen so that we can better match to the perfect colour you will love! Once you have picked out your colour, determine how much paint you will need. One pint of Fusion mineral Paint covers approximately 75 sq feet. Keep in mind the number of coats you will be doing, I find that two coats is usually all it takes and also makes your cabinets that much more durable.
2. Prep your kitchen cabinets ~ This is a word that not everybody likes to hear. But I can tell you that it is a MUST with kitchen cabinets because you want it to last! This step doesn't take long but a little prep can go a long way. To prep your cabinets, simply give a scuff sand over the surface to rough the surface up. This step will allow any paint to adhere better than if you don't! After scuff sanding, give your cabinets a good clean - use tsp and a degreaser if necessary. We took all the cabinet doors and hardware off so that we could paint on a flat surface and keep the hardware paint free!
3. Ultra Grip - Ultra grip is a water based emulsion and is used to increase the adhesion of Fusion paint! It is great for use on any slick surfaces, such as a lacquered surface, laminate, metal or even glass. Using the Ultra Grip allows for the paint to adhere really well to these surfaces. Simply apply one coat. I like to apply the ultra grip using a foam roller. This helps keep your surface smooth. Allow to dry for 12 hours before applying your first coat of paint. Clean up with water. Covers approx. 75 sq feet.
4. Concealer - If you are going from dark cabinets to a lighter colour, you will want to use Fusion's Concealer. This is what I used on these cabinets because as you can see, the cabinets were very dark! Using the concealer is a good option because it's half the cost of a pint of Fusion Mineral Paint and it helps you save money and on coats of paint!
5. Paint with colour of choice. Dry time is usually 1-2 hours but it is recommended to wait 4-12 hours in between coats of paint. Use a foam roller if you want a smooth finish. If you want to brush it on, I recommend using a high quality brush. This is the fun part where you start to see the transformation really take place!
6. Finish with Tough Coat - Fusion's tough coat is a non-yellowing finish that dries to a matte finish. It is very durable and will protect your surface from the wear and tear kitchen cabinets get. Tough coat can be applied by wiping on with a damp cloth. I prefer to use a roller on most of my projects. Now your cabinets are finished!! One thing to note is that the cure time is approximately 21 days. Make sure that during this time you are gently using your cabinets so that they can fully cure!
So now your question might be, just how durable is this paint? I can tell you that it is the most durable paint I have used, especially when you follow these simple steps! I painted my bathroom vanity that is made of laminate, following these steps 2 years ago, and they still have not chipped at all! This is one of the many reasons why I love Fusion Mineral Paint! It is so easy to use, environmentally friendly with zero VOC and a creates a beautiful, highly durable finish!
If you have any questions about your kitchen cabinets or other painting projects, please feel free to ask away in the comments below or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to order paint online you can order it at www.happylittlepaintshop.ca or come in to my store in Rossburn, Manitoba. Did you know we offer the cheapest shipping we can!! Shipping is a $12 flat rate and we ship Canada wide, if you order over $75 your shipping goes down to only $6 flat rate!
I love to see your projects and what you're up to! Feel free to send pictures of your refinished projects!
Happy Little Paint Shop
HOURS OF OPERATION:
153 Victoria Ave West
Wednesday's - 10am-2pm
Friday's - 10am-2pm
HAPPY LITTLE OPEN HOUSE:
Saturday, Nov. 25:10-2
Trunk & Treadle
Located 15 mins east of Olds. Second place east of Reed Ranch School on the north side of Hwy 27.
We strive to ship your order within
1-3 business days:)
If you can't make it during our regular hours, we are happy to set up an appointment for you!
We now offer shipping to USA!
~$12 flat rate Canada Wide~
~$6 on ALL orders over $75~
~$20 flat rate to United States~
Follow us on:
Subscribe on Facebook to get instantly notified of upcoming workshops and events.
~he builds she paints~
We are a husband and wife team who love to do custom work! Contact us for a free quote.
Design and colour is our passion
~Adam & Ariel